SISTERING BENEFIT

Welcome to Every Voice - Zoe Chilco's site for the 
Benefit for Sistering.org
May 5, 2019  8:30pm
Hugh's Room, Toronto  416 533 5483
reservations@hughsroomlive.com

featuring vocalists:
 Dawn Duvall  Dawn DuVall started singing professionally in 1975, playing small Toronto venues; toured Ontario and the east coast for two years with a show band, and after that, with a second band for another year, before finally returning to Toronto where she joined a pop/rock band, again touring.
Later in Toronto, with pianist Lorraine Ingle, she formed a blues-based band, "The Hi-Lites", and from that group she and Lorraine created the well-known blues and boogie duo "Blue Willow", which, over fourteen years, performed and produced two cd's, one of them award- winning.
Dawn is currently working with her partner/piano player Tom Melville, recording a new cd of eclectic styles of music with her band "Dawnsville".

Kim Doolittle  "I love to sing, write, play and tell stories.
My 9th studio album “Into The Blue” is the sum of a 43 year artistic journey. (It) dropped April 8, 2017, charting on Stingray Music, The Blues Radio Network, CBC, Toronto Blues Society Charts, Blues and Routes Radio, and Folk Routes to name a few.
"my....songs are reflective, and meant to create hope and optimism through strength, perseverance, trust, and spirit.... heavily influenced by blues, roots, gospel, folk, and kitchen parties courtesy of my Nova Scotian childhood."
https://kimdoolittlemusic.com





Taborah Johnson  a Canadian singer and actress who began her career in the Toronto production of Hair as a teenager. She was subsequently a backing vocalist for Rick James from 1979 to 1982, including on James' most famous single, "Super Freak". She returned to Toronto, where she sang as a jazz performer and as a backing vocalist for her sister Molly's band Infidels, and acted in occasional film and television roles. She appeared as the FLOTUS Chief of Staff, assistant to the First Lady, in her brother Clark's feature film The Sentinel,[2] and the 1984 HBO TV movie The Guardian with Lou Gossett and Martin Sheen. She has also been creating voices in animation.





and poet 

Cue Kirk the Tobagonian Canadian Poetic Empress, Dub Poet, Author, and Community Mobilizer from Toronto Canada. In 2001, Cue made her poetic debut as the feature poet at Down One Lounge in Toronto Canada, and then took the nation by storm as the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's (CBC) 2005/2007 Poetry Face-off All Star winner in Ottawa. On stage this passionate performance poet is well known for combining her Tobago talk, jazzy vocals and movement to create a sensual and captivating poetic style.

 


These wonderful performers will be joined by a very lively and talented band of musicians:
Paul McKeracher, guitar; Rachel Melas, bass; 

Cathy Salvatori, drums, John Sheard, Julian Yarrow, piano.

About Sistering: 
Sistering is a multi-service agency for at-risk, socially isolated women in Toronto who are homeless or precariously housed. They provide many services, facilities, skill training courses and legal counselling and support, plus much more.
Please visit their website: sistering.org for more information. Here are a few photos:

The Kitchen:



The Loom (teaching weaving): 









About Zoe and the music:

                         Zoe Chilco is a singer and songwriter from Toronto: 
I had the idea for a benefit concert back in January, 2018, hoping to fulfill two goals: 
First: help a women's organization in the ongoing work of bringing dignity, housing, clothing, or any necessary aid, to women here in Toronto; I chose "Sistering", a group that has been operating since the 70's, and has provided invaluable counselling and concrete and critical help to countless women.
Secondly, I wanted to hear songs of mine that have messages of equality, social justice, self-esteem, or environmental responsibility interpreted by different vocalists, informed by the power they could bring, and adding to how the words might resonate with people. 
Some of the songs:
Crazy Dreams, on the CD "Up the Highway; Jazz Junction": - It's important to listen to, believe in, and try to make real all our crazy dreams. #3 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/up-the-highway-double-album/888740362 Sung by Zoe
.Image result for mbodeo zoe chilco
*********************************************

CRAZY DREAMS
Crazy dreams all night through;
The future's murky, but the past is too.
I'm not quite sure where I'm goin' to;
I think I need you.

Every time I try to see
Or try to change my history,
Those crazy dreams return to me
To say I need you.

I seem to hear an answer whisper in the night
Some lonely secret that's hidden from my sight.

Bringing the promise of a kiss,
And jumbled tales that make me reminisce;
In the confusion feeling that I miss and need you.

BREAK

I seem to hear....etc

Oh crazy dreams, what are you telling me?
You float around like ghosts I cannot see.
You're such a danger to my sanity;
Why do I need you?

HI F-EYE
This is a time for lookin’;
This is a time to see
Just what is really cookin’
And to say how the world's lookin’ to be.

I” is used for the first person talkin’;
Aye” means 'yes’ when all can agree;
And there’s an eye that can see the big picture:
An eye with an eye to make real history.

Where are the stories you don’t hear?;
That the world never allowed.
These are the voices that make clear,
What should be shouted out loud.

The big guys like their talkin';
Fee, eF-eye, fo, fi, fum;
But it's a talk that's lockin'
Truth out of reach; power's only for some.

BREAK, then 2nd bridge “Where are, etc”, then:

Life isn't easy for everyone down here;
Life is harder when you can't speak;
But if there's a story, it's got to be told.
Then there's no such thing as a person who's weak.

Let's have a new perspective,
Speculatin’ personally;
A viewpoint that just might give
Eyes to the world so we really can see
I said eyes to the world; eyes to the world;
Get your eyes to the world....
So we really can see

COMMON COLD

Walkin' in the streets at night
Tryin' to stay outta sight;
Gotta find a place to stay,
Oh God, I need to find a way;
Bad time blues are fallin' down on me.

Someone get me outta here;
I am walkin' into fear;
I don't like this cold dark place;
I have turned into a case;
All my hopes are crashin' around me.

Tryin' to survive the cold
You know, this is no way to get old;
I don't know how I got so lost
Or who's to blame for this high cost.
I've got no easy money warmin' me.

Shadows slippin' down the lane;
I see faces that are filled with pain
All the people that I see
Are scramblin' so they will not be
Losin' hold and fallin' down like me.

Well, we've got government that doesn't care;
The rich get richer; that ain't fair.
Corporate rules of 'common sense';
And folks that need have no defense
People, you got to shout out loud,
I said, people, you got to shout out loud;
Yes, people you got to shout out loud to be. c.zoechilco,1997.
HIT AND RUN

Crude oil comin' down the line
Past the town that's yours and mine;
It's not safe, but they'll never say;
Because profits trump at the end of day.
It's all about money – that's right, honey
They'll blow us all to hell.

Drinking water goes on fire;
'Cause industry has got to find its buyer.
They don't care that all the wildlife dies;
They just keep tellin' their big, fat lies.
Oh, they like money – they sure do, honey
They'll poison us as well.

BREAK instrumental solo

Mining companies will murder you for gold
They have rights; - so we've been told.
And the corporations want to rule all our needs -
They want to own all the water, medicine, energy and seeds.
They want all the money – and they get it, honey
'Cause first they steal (resources), and then they sell.

Now the fish are dying; bees are too;
There's nothing safeguards me and you.
We can't even make our own laws;
Not if it breaks a trading clause.
The power of money – it's huge, honey
I think it's time to shout and yell.

BREAK instrumental solo

Yell it long and yell it loud;
Protest all that's been allowed.
If you don't start to make some noise,
They'll just keep doing it, cause – boys will be boys.
Damn their money! And their sugar-coatin' honey!
Damn their greed! And their profit creed!
Underneath, - you know! You know! You know
It's a lethal smell.

I HEAR A SONG c.zoechilco.1997

All the children never born;
All the lovers – hearts still torn;
All the magic getting worn,
But still, I hear a song.

Trumpeting majestic sights;
Mellowing the lonely nights;
Calling me to distant heights
And leading me along.

Great emotions never spent;
Countless hopes and wishes rent;
All the good intentions meant
To write a worthy song.

If I die before I wake;
I pray my soul will somehow make
The flame of light I need to take
My dreaming life back home.

Like a wind that chills the bone,
I will see this life alone,
Following the endless moan
And fashioning the wails

Of the sounds of peoples’ cries;
Saving grace and damning lies;
Blowing as the waters rise,
And billowing the sails.

Singing every note I hear;
Hoping people will draw near;
Trying to abate the fear,
Lessening the cold.

Making melodies that fly;
Calm the heart and dry the eye;
Swinging low and soaring high,
And strengthening the hold.

All the children never born; all the lovers' hearts still torn;
All the magic getting worn; but still I hear a song.
Still I hear a song.......still I hear a song.

MR. WRONG

When I'm feelin' lonely
When time has got too long;
When the whole world is busy,
But no one's singin' me a song;
Whooooo, hoooo,
That's when I get to thinkin'
Yes, I'm thinkin' about Mr. Wrong.

When we said goodbye,
I thought my world was gonna end;
Even though he made me so unhappy,
Still, our leavin' drove me 'round the bend.
Now it's been such a long, long time
And I still need to mend;
I think I need a little lovin'
From Mr. Wrong.

Everybody said he was wrong for me;
and I've been workin' so hard just to set myself free.
But when the night is cold and I'm feelin' all alone,
His face is the only one I see.

I don't care about the past
I just want him, like before;
I don't care about all the troubles;
I just wanna see him at my door.
Cause you know, Mr. Right ain't knockin'
So I've gotta see my Mr. Wrong.

BREAK – REPEAT TOP AND BRIDGE

Oh, I've been waiting for too long;
I'm gonna give in to sorrow;
Because the feelin' is too strong,
I guess I'm gonna have to start again tomorrow.
But right now, right now
I know that it is right;
I'm gonna love my Mr. Wrong


IT AIN'T FUNNY NO MORE
Thinkin' 'bout the way the world is goin' lately; it ain't lookin' so good.
We've got guns and bombs and people killin' in every neighbourhood.
We gotta do some fixin', or we'll all be lost - that's understood,
that's understood, that's understood.

Wake up in the mornin' and I hear the news; it just makes me cry.
Everything's so hopeless; there's so much evil, and there are innocents who die.
There are answers out there; we all just need to find - the will to try
the will to try, the will to try.

C'mon everybody, it's a time for action; get up and get out the door.
Never mind the TV and the crazy sit-coms; it ain't funny no more.

Get the money to the people who are workin' if you can't afford the time;
Every little effort makes us so much stronger; every little nickel and dime.
We need to stand together and use our power to stop this senseless crime,
this senseless crime, this senseless crime. c.zchilco, 2018.


LET YOUR UNDERWEAR SHOW

Let your underwear show, let your underwear show;
When you’re looking for something,
And you want to let go.
Give up some of your skin, let the good feelings in,
Till you’re starting to glow,
Let your underwear show.

You know that there are times
When you have got too many layers on;
All the rules of living,
But there’s something gone wrong.
You’ve got to shake off all the habits
Of the face you have become,
Bring it back to basics
Till the job is done.

Just living underneath the way you think
That you’re supposed to be
Can’t be good for your soul;
No, it’s not a practical goal.
You’ve got to let the natural loving out
For all the world to see;
Bring yourself on home
Where you want to be.
RATS AND WELFARE

Rats and welfare; that’s your new share
No, it’s not fair,
But it’s the all-new reality show.

You must pay more, gut your poor core;
There’s no exit door
On the all-new reality show.

Car insurance makes a profit like you’ve never seen;
Likewise banks – they’re doin’ fine. Don’t it make you green?
They don’t care about your problems, long as profits rise;
This is how the system works. Open up your eyes.

Rats and welfare; big shots don’t care.
That’s how they dare
On the all-new reality show.

So you can’t drive; stop with your jive.
Let the strong thrive;
It’s an all-new reality show.

CEO’s get payouts that could feed us all for years;
Gas goes up, our health goes down; why not save your tears?
All the big guns love things just exactly as they are;
You’ll be dead soon anyway, while they are going far.

Rats and welfare; cupboards all bare.
Sit and just stare;
Here’s the all-new reality show.

Boy, does this stink; that’s what I think.
And we’ll soon sink
On this all-new reality show.


WILD WILD SEA

Ocean gonna come in your body
Ocean gonna come in your soul
Ocean gonna whirl up your mind, yeah
Ocean comin' over you whole.
Wash through your fingers, down to your toes,
Ocean gonna come a mighty roll.

Fallin' down, down to the ground
Feel the spirit movin' like the water swirlin' 'round
Ain't no lovin' mystery!
It's the music of the wild wild sea.

People try to tell you you're wrong
People try to say you're no good
People not rememberin' all their story
People never knowin' their own blood.
Twistin' and turnin', freezin' and burnin'
Fallin' from the place where they stood!

Painin' times; gotta let 'em go!
Feel the spirit fill you, feel the spirit grow.
When your body sees the light
Well, you're gonna be alright.

BREAK

Lightnin' gonna fly from your eyeballs
Thunder gonna roar from your throat!
Power gonna come over wailin'
Power gonna sound a new note.
Now come a rumblin' like you never knew-
Power gonna rock this here boat!

Ain't no way in this whole livin' place
People gonna damn your life, make a dis-grace
When you know the mystery,
And you're singin' like the wild wild sea


WHERE'S THE COOL?

Where's the cool, feelin' alone every day and night?
Where's the cool, thinkin' that nothing you do is right?
Cool wouldn't be so unhappy; cool would not be blue;
Cool wouldn't always be hurtin' like you do.

Where's the cool, tryin' to be like all the TV ads?
Where's the cool, followin' all of those empty fads?
All of the time being worried, you'll be on the shelf;
And in the end, you're still all by yourself.

Well, wouldn't it be wonderful just to be able to fly?
Free as the birds in the sky.

Where's the cool, feelin' your life is a heavy load?
Where's the cool, thinkin' that you're on an empty road?
Wishin' that you could be somewhere; somewhere that you're not.
Cool's an illusion that let you down a lot.
GYPSY BLOOD

When the moon rides the sky; when the black night is clear;
Silver enters my eye; magic sighs in my ear.
Swirling into my brain, whirling me into dance.
Come, oh come” the refrain; 'come while love gives a chance'.


How the night winds can rush; how it captures your soul.
How the stars become lush, how the music can roll.
'Come, oh come and be free'; I give in to the night.
Seeking where I will be cast in silvery light.

Dance, dance, dance. Dance the whole night long.
Fly, fly with romance. Fly on its beautiful song.

When you hear the whisperings that steal into your heart and won't go 'way.
Nothing can erase the madness; fly into the moon glow till the day.

Lover, wild in the night; take my body I pray.
Sing your song of delight; I am lost in your sway.


LETTIN' THE LIGHT IN
Lettin' the light in; lettin' the light in'
Dark shades up! Fill that cup!
Time for a new deal; time for a light feel;
Sunshine in! Because we've been

Too long in the dark;
With things we endure;
Too long in the dark;
it's better when we're

Lettin' the light in; lettin' the light in'
Get that broom! Sweep that room!
Gotta get movin'; it is behoovin'
That we clean, because we;ve been

Too long in the dark;
With things we endure;
Too long in the dark;
Let new life occur.

BREAK

Lettin' the light in; lettin' the light in;
This feels good! Glad we could
Open a window; look at a rainbow;
Dark's passe, and it's been 'way
Too long!

LIFE ON A TIGHTROPE

Concentration is essential; there’s no room for any mental
Deviation as you walk up there;
The corridor is very narrow; every cell within your marrow
Dedicates itself or falls through air.

Flicker into thought and all is lost;
Thinking of success will bring a cost.

Every muscle in your frame; every part that has a name
Living only as a moving whole;
Letting kinesthetics fuel each adjustment miniscule;
Emptied of all purpose is the goal.

Flicker into thought, etc.

Purposefully letting go of security you know,
Stillness moving on a line that’s taut;
Your own sensors let you feel; censoring what isn’t real;
Balancing what is, and what is not.

Flicker into thought, etc. c. zoe chilco, 2003

BLOOMIN’ BLUES
Blue is the colour of the big wide sky;
Earth blooms and I’m singin’ cause I feel so high.
Flowers are turning their faces up
To the warming sun;
People are picking their paces up
Like they want to run.
The whole world’s buzzin’;
I hear at least a dozen birds in song.

Green is the grass that’s pushin’ through the ground;
Spring air makes me dizzy, like I’m spun around.
Now I remember how much I love this place;
Feelin’ that magical touch, I forget the race.
The breeze’s soft voice tells me ‘just rejoice’
Before it’s gone.

Cause it’s not going to last, if we don’t take some care;
We’ve been crazy in the past, like kids on a dare.
We’ve got to tend, we’ve got to mend
This garden that we’ve wronged.

Gold light all around me at the end of day;
Pink streaks in the sunset: they make me want to pray.
Nothing is ever for free in this busy world;
But here is a gift we can see, like grace unfurled.
This good old earth can bring peace and rebirth to everyone.
We’ll end the danger if we all can change
Before too long.

MY MOMMA DANCED

my momma she danced last night
my momma she stomped
my momma she heard that rhythm
and she really romped.

my momma she twirled around
some good-lookin' beau (guy)
my momma had all the moves
up high and down low. (reverse order)

she jumped to the beat......
she kicked up her feet and sashayed around
she leapt in the air
like she'd never come down.

my momma she looked so fine
my momma was hot
my momma she showed the world
just what she has got.

WOMEN!
Women! Enough’s enough to suffer
Women! Time to get tough and tougher
Women! Giving each other a hand (when they can)
Women! Not going to take it longer!
Women! We’re going to get much stronger!
Women won’t ever be silent again (no, no, no)

Men have always thought that they
Have all the rights & all the say:
Knowledge, jobs, and votes and land –
All for them, their upper hand. (but)

Women!, etc. (when they can)

Rules for sex were always clear;
what he wants’ , and ‘live in fear’.
Women’s sex did not exist;
she’s witch!’, they would insist. (but)

Women!, etc. (when they can)

She was less; made to accept
His position, while she crept.
Women learned their proper place;
Men learned that they could abase.

INSTRUMENTAL SOLOS

WHADDUP?!!
JUST LOOK IT UP, BABY
Miss, miss, miss, miss, misogyny
Dump all that woman-hating stuff away (forever…)
Shove it – just shove it all away;
Above it – that’s where we want to stay;
We’d love it – it men could help bring a new day. (but in the meantime…)

KEY CHANGE:
Women!, Women!, I said, Women!!
Giving each other a hand (when they can)
Women! Women! (and men too!)
Oh, Women!
Don’t ever be silent again.
Don’t ever be silent again.
Let's help out whenever we can.
The world will be better for it when
We learn how to FIGHT! (STOP!)

And make it end; Make it end.

Hi F-Eye, from the CD "Warm in a Cool Place": Written for the 2006 Female Eye Film Festival, founded by Leslie Anne Coles, a celebration of films made by, and for, women. A reminder that it's time to use our eyes, men and women, to look at the world, to acknowledge the power imbalance, to make sure the stories of women, ignored in history and continuing to this day, are told.
#8 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/warm-in-a-cool-place/268713335
Image result for mbodeo zoe chilco

Common Cold, from "Mbodeo": Written in 1996 about homelessness; unfortunately still a problem today. Tune #10 https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mbodeo/888857873

I Hear a Song, from the CD "Decadance": Unrealized potential in so many people, due to circumstance; we need to always "hear the song" that will inspire and induce us to action to 'lesson the cold' and 'strengthen the hold'. #10 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/decadance/1021348727
***********************************************

Where's the Cool, the CD "One-Woman Blues": I wrote this for young women, hoping to influence them away from the pressure to be part of groups, or from aspiring to impossible goals that are created by advertising and/or consumerism, and to believe rather in themselves. Good at any age.
#8 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/one-woman-blues/305082868
http://testicanzoni.mtv.it/testi-Zoe-Chilco_26206642/One-Woman-Blues-album_16948370

Gypsy Blood, from "Warm in a Cool Place": The importance of being aware of, listening to, and letting live, sensual romanticism, outside of any relationship. #4 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/warm-in-a-cool-place/268713335


****************************************
Two of my songs will play on video screen during the break:

Rats and Welfare, from "Up the Highway; Blues Boulevard": Corporate greed, animated by Jonathan Amitay. #23 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/up-the-highway-double-album/888740362 & youtube.
Let Your Underwear Show, from "Mbodeo": Underwear is a symbol for our inner life; find and let out the real you. Tune #8 https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mbodeo/888857873 or youtube.com

*************************************************************

Mamarocks from One-Woman Blues. Mama is the feminine voice in all of us that we ought to listen to more often.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZS-hExKppg
 Image result for mamarocks zoe chilco   

Wild Wild Sea, from "Mbodeo": Don't let negative people or voices sway you; feel the power of nature, let its spirit fill and come through you. Persevere and apply yourself to your goals.
Tune #11 https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mbodeo/888857873


*************************************************

Bloomin' Blues, from "Mbodeo", 2000: a call to take care of this earth.
Tune #1 https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mbodeo/888857873

Lettin' the Light In, from "Hook, Line, and Singer": Get the blinders off and let the light in, change outdated thinking that has been around too long and which is not healthy or just for everyone.
#11 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/hook-line-singer/889281153
Image result for mbodeo zoe chilco


The Rolling Ocean, CD to come, "Da Capo al Fine": Written by the ocean on anniversaries of the deaths of two people in my life, this song speaks to the enduring and unchanging strength of the ocean, our connection to water and to each other, and the perspective of an enduring spirit in our lives.

********************************************************

Mr. Wrong, from "Feme Sole", 2002: Some things or people are not particularly good for us, but we need to follow our intuition and take care of ourselves in those moments, without guilt, and return again later to the struggle for wholeness. #14 https://itunes.apple.com/pg/album/feme-sole/888719192
Image result for mbodeo zoe chilco

Hit and Run, from "Decadance", 2015: Corporate greed again, and dangerous practices for money: unsafe delivery of crude oil, fracking, mining that destroys land and people, pesticides and pollution that destroy nature. Time to yell and protest. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/decadance/1021348727 tune #6
Image result for mamarocks zoe chilco

Life on a Tightrope from "Up the Highway, Jazz Junction" 2005: Life requires constant focus and attention, but not the interference of thinking too much by watching and judging ourselves, but rather staying in the moment of what we do. Right brain versus left. Or the current "mindfulness" trend.
#5 https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/up-the-highway-double-album/888740362

***************************************************

Women, from "Decadance": The history of backward, ignorant, and oppressive thought concerning women and equality has gone on far too long. This song says 'enough is enough', and is a call to women and men to say no to these past attitudes, and to work for change.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/decadance/1021348727 tune #8 

Comments